Thursday 17 May 2012

Donna Summer Dead at 63

Donna Summer Queen of Disco - 1948 - 2012

Photo Credit:  Flickr/Vorpaldinger

According to TMZ Donna Summer the Disco Queen has died of cancer early this morning at the age of 63.  Donna Summer is a 5-time Grammy Award winner who had many hits in the 1970's and 1980's including "Last Dance", "Bad Girls", "Love to Love You Baby", "On the Radio".  And her song "I feel love" was a thumping, fabulous disco tune.  And one of my favourites, that  I would sing whenever I made cake, lol-- "MacArthur Park" (Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain).

Donna Summers did a duet with Barbara Streisand with the song "No More Tears" (Enough is Enough).  Donna Summers Queen of Disco also developed her music and worked across many musical genres to include gospel, rock, new wave,  and reggae. 

Donna created an anthem for working women: "She worked hard for the money".  Taken from ABC's Sheila Marikar's article, here is a quote from Donna Summer about how she wrote the song "She worked Hard for the Money".

“I was at a Grammys party … and I went to the ladies room and on my way in I saw this little old lady sitting at the end of the bar. And she was asleep,” Summer told “Nightline.” “She was the bathroom attendant. And at that same moment, a group of ladies walked into the room and started spraying their hair and doing all these things. And my first thought was ‘God, she works hard for her money, that lady.’
“And then I thought, ‘man, that’s a song,’” she said. “So I went and grabbed my manager and we went back into the bathroom and started writing the song on a piece of toilet paper.”
She was a very gifted and talented singer and song writer. 

Last Dance Video From YouTube


She Works Hard for the Money


On The Radio



Family Statement:
"Early this morning, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith.
"While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy.
"Words truly can't express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time."
Donna Summers is survived by her husband Bruce Sudano, her three daughters and four grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment